5 Food Shops Where You Can Savor the Authentic Taste of Taiwan
In recent years, Taiwan has become a popular choice of overseas travel, especially for student travelers and budget-conscious individuals. The short flight time, visa-free entry, the diverse culture, beautiful sights to see, and mouth-watering street food and delicacies win visitors all the time, and it seems like there’s always something new to discover there, whether you’re hitting the major roads and attractions or strolling along undiscovered nooks and corners.
With the health pandemic still hindering plans of any future trips, exploring the beauty of Taiwan will be pushed back to later months, or sadly, another year. You may be a first-timer eager for a taste of their famous carb-laden eats and bubble teas, or maybe a Taiwan regular raring to hop on a bus or train to Shilin Night Market to shop for trinkets and souvenirs and feast on beef noodles and pineapple cakes. But no matter which one you are, you can satisfy that yearning for an authentic Taiwan experience through the tastebuds—no flying necessary!
We saw the demand for authentic Taiwanese food here in the Philippines steadily growing, thus several Taiwanese food concepts coming to our shores. While we’re still stuck to our stations at home and a sudden appetite for their specialties arises, a quick call or order online will do the trick! It may not be the same as enjoying a meal in a stall, but it’s the closest thing we can get for now.
Close in the distance from Taiwan through a feast—here are five shops that will bring the Taiwanese experience at home.
1. Din Tai Fung. We can find the original Din Tai Fung store in Xinyi, Taipei, but for a taste of their famous xiao long bao, you can have it delivered right to your doorstep with several branches back in service. Apart from xiao long bao, other must-try dishes are fried rice with pork chop, custard buns, and bubble tea!
2. Tiger Sugar. We’ve all witnessed the long lines when Tiger Sugar arrived in Manila, and there’s a reason why this Taiwanese bubble tea shop is so raved about. Get the Brown Sugar Boba Milk, or experiment with other tastes with the new Tiger Cheese Mousse drink series.
3. YiFang Fruit Tea. From fruit tea to tea latte to brown sugar pearl, this refreshing pick will cool you down thanks to the authentic flavors of Taiwanese tea infused in YiFang’s selection of drinks. For a no-fail pick me up, order the YiFang Signature Fruit Tea, Pineapple Green Tea, or Brown Sugar Pearl Oolong Tea Latte.
4. Hot Star Large Fried Chicken. Known for their large-sized fried chicken, Hot Star Large Fried Chicken is definitely one of the must-try foods in Taiwan! Good thing they opened shop here in Manila, so you can get a taste of their specially-seasoned XXL fried chicken everyone’s been talking about.
5. Original Cake. The cake that hails from Tamsui Old Street north of Taipei is a delightfully addicting treat that you’d love to share with the people you love! You can’t go wrong with other items on their menu—the Golden Cheese Cake and Chocolate Cake won our hearts, too!