6 Ways to Experience San Juan, La Union At Home
Admit it—there came a time during these days in quarantine that you wish, as you stare outside your window, that you’re in San Juan, La Union to enjoy the summer break with your barkada. Now that we’re transitioning to the rainy days and a trip to the north is still not possible, we’re left to just dream about riding the waves or watching surfers on the water as you bask in salty air and the sun's warm rays.
In a few months, we say. Or if not, next year, we promise. There’s a lot of uncertainty whether travel can resume sooner or later, with the health pandemic still ongoing. But we can stop feeling sorry for ourselves, as your favorite summer destination could feel closer to us than we think. We may not be reunited with our surfboards for now, but a little taste of Elyu could be the cure to our beach yearning.
Don’t stop at looking at your throwback photos on your phone or watching La Union travel vlogs online. Take it a notch higher and actually experience what San Juan, La Union has to offer—minus the five-hour bus ride. Here are six things to do to close in the distance from surftown and relieve the fun days at home!
1. Get your caffeine fix from El Union Coffee. Elevate your morning brew by getting your coffee beans from surftown’s most famous cafe! El Union Coffee offers locally-sourced whole bean coffee that can be delivered around Metro Manila. If you’re missing that caffeine fix by the beach, check out their Instagram @elunion and order a bag to brew at home!
2. Go light and healthy with a smoothie bowl from Makai Bowls. Relish a delicious smoothie bowl from Makai Bowls in the metro! You may choose from their top-notch flavors like the Carille Chocolate Bowl, Beach Break Gre Bowl, Tropical Bowl, and Point Strawberry Bowl for a refreshing and satisfying morning boost. Craving for it? Go to their Instagram @makaibowls to place your order.
3. Have Sabong Fried Chicken for lunch. No, you’re not alone—we miss Sabong Fried Chicken big time, too! Good thing everyone’s favorite Elyu chicken place now delivers in Manila for a taste of the baddest beach bird from the north! Choose from their classic flavors Elyu Original, Honey Bagoong with Kare-Kare Sauce, Korean Soy, and Chick-N-Morty and enjoy a fresh batch with the fam. Visit their Instagram @sabongfc to get your fried chicken fix.
4. Take a slice of Amare. If you loved the woodfire brick oven pizza from Amare La Cucina in San Juan, you’d be glad to know that their branch in Kapitolyo is up and running! Have a pizza party at home and add a few Italian items to go with it, too—check out their Instagram @amarelacucinakapitolyo for more info.
5. Play ‘Forget You’ by Rusty Machines. If we could send a letter to our dearest Elyu, all we need to do is play indie rock band Rusty Machines’ song ‘Forget You.’ (“I wish that you are here with me, feeling the waves again..”) But seriously, this track has been part of beach-goers’ playlist for years—and putting this on repeat during quarantine brings back memories of those fun days with the surf and sand. Bonus: the ‘Forget You’ music video up on YouTube is a nostalgic escape in surftown, too!
6. Watch ‘I’m Drunk, I Love You.’ Maybe it's your story, or you know someone in this kind of situation. We can’t deny that JP Habac’s ‘I’m Drunk, I Love You’ is a relatable tale of love—involving friends, ex-lovers, bagnet, beer, and music by the beach. The scenic San Juan surftown serves as backdrop to this heart-wrenching flick, now available to watch for free on YouTube. It’s time to immerse in the rollercoaster ride of feelings with Dio, Carson, Jason Ty, and Pathy with an ‘h’ all over again!