7 "Shaz-amazing" Reasons Why You Have To See 'Shazam!'
DC Comics and Warner Bros. Pictures' first superhero movie offering for this year Shazam! is already out in cinemas and it's been getting rave reviews from fans and critics alike.
The story follows the adventures of a young orphan named Billy Batson and how his "pure heart" grants him the limitless powers and abilities of the Gods (Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achiles and Mercury), turning him into a bonafide superhero just by saying the magic word. It's a breath of fresh air, considering DC's previous track record.
But if you're still skeptical whether to join the hype train or not for the "OG Captain Marvel", allow us to give you a little preview of what to expect from the film. Here are seven reasons why you need to see Shazam!
1. It's fun, goofy and lighthearted as it should be. When the first official trailer dropped last year, a lot of people were, needless to say weirded out by the film's humorous tone but to loyal fans of the comic series, that's how things should be. And like we mentioned earlier, it's a breath of fresh air because it doesn't follow the dark and gritty template we've seen before from DC. It gives us a great mix of dark and goofy. Surprisingly, it works.
2. The film has a diverse set of characters. The film has a lot going on in terms of characters and with only 2 hours and 12 minutes of running time, it's really impressive how the actors all managed to shine in their roles and steal their respective scenes even with little screen time. And what's great about it is you can relate to each character in the film – from Billy to Freddie, even the villainous Doctor Sivana.
Repost from @jackdgrazer: And just like that, as soon as it came it has ended! That’s a wrap on Shazam⚡️❤️ I love my Shazamily more than words can say! I can finally say that I am apart of the DCU and it not could feel any better. I’m gonna miss the fantastic cast and crew on this production so much but I had a magnificent time on this project and I know that it will translate that feeling so well on the silver screen in April 2019! #shazammovie #shazambamfamlamb #shazamfamily #thatsawrap #DC #superheroes #love
3. It's loaded with DCEU references and easter eggs. Fans of the DC Extended Universe will love the direct references and easter eggs in this film and it will only get you excited for what's to come. We don't want to spoil anything, so just go see it already!
4. It puts emphasis on the importance of family. Billy is yearning for a family to call his own and it's basically the film's central conflict and what eventually gave him his self-contained demeanor. His life will take a 360 turn when he's brought to a foster home where he eventually meets Freddie Freeman who's very eager to gain his trust. More than just an action-packed supehero flick, the film teaches us a valuable lesson about family.
5. Shazam represents every kid and kid-at-heart. Let's be real here. We've all dreamt of becoming a superhero once in our lives and this film will give you that nostalgic thrill.
6. Zachary Levi was born to play the role. You may know him from Chuck, but the film's lead star Zachary Levi is more than just a comedy act and he proves that in the film, despite previous complaints about his casting. Levi has this genuinely likeable persona which makes you want to root for him and the character. After seeing Shazam!, we can't think of any other guy who can nail the role of "World's Mightiest Mortal" or as Freddie would like to refer to him, "Captain Sparkle Fingers".
On my way to @nickelodeon #KCA and popped in to say howdy to some folks who were about to see a @fandango advanced screening of @shazammovie. It means the absolute world that y’all would come out two weeks early to see and support this film. So many incredibly talented people collaborated to make this as special as it is. I hope y’all feel that magic, and share it if you do. 🙌 #sippinouttacups 😘 (📸 @cocodanger)
7. The DCEU is finally on the right track. Fans can argue that DC has been struggling to establish their own shared universe for the longest time. But now, it seems like they've finally cracked the code. It's been a long time coming, but with the recent success of their standalone offerings Wonder Woman, Aquaman and now Shazam!, the DCEU seems to be finally on the right track!