10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About MAC MILLER
Ai dela Cruz
Heartbreaking news of the passing of 26-year-old American rapper Mac Miller broke out this morning and we couldn't help but feel underwhelmed that some people know him more for being Ariana Grande's ex-boyfriend than for his own contributions and musical legacy. So here are 10 things most people probably didn't know about the late artist:
1. Mac Miller was born Malcolm James McCormick on January 19, 1992 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Among many others, he also used the pseudonyms Larry Fisherman (record producer) and Larry Lovestein (jazz singer) for his non-rapper roles in the music world.
2. His independently-released debut album Blue Slide Park shot straight to #1 at the Billboard 200 chart when he was only 19 years old. His other albums also debuted at the Top 5 in the said chart: Watching Movies With The Sound Off (#3, 2013), GO:OD AM (#4, 2015), The Divine Feminine (#2, 2016), and his latest release Swimming (#3, 2018).
3. He was one of the pioneers of independent streetwear, donning then-unpopular brands in his tours 10 years ago "when streetwear wasn't as mainstream and relevant as it is today, back when streetwear was still underground and forum-based," The Hundreds Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer Bobby Hundreds mentioned in a tribute tweet.
4. Mac helped launch the career of Grammy-winning artist Chance the Rapper by bringing him on his The S.D.S. Tour back in 2013.
5. "Freaky Friday" hitmaker Lil Dicky also has something to thank Mac Miller for during the early days of his career.
so sad. mac miller was a great dude. when i began my career he went out of his way to talk to me on the phone and give me advice. an amazing artist and human being— LD (@lildickytweets) September 7, 2018
6. He starred in Scary Movie 5 with legendary rapper Snoop Dogg who shared a video of their scene together as a tribute to the Pittsburgh native.
So sad u gone home young Mac I had to post this to smile and think about the good Time we had on the set of this movie man god bless ya family. Pittsburg we lost a real one today 🌟 @macmiller 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/AZkqUlhm1V— Snoop Dogg (@SnoopDogg) September 7, 2018
7. He was scheduled to shoot a new music video today with musician/actor/custom jeweller Ben Baller, whose clientele also includes Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Drake, A$AP Rocky, The Weeknd, Mariah Carey, and more.
Gone too soon. So much talent. But most importantly, Malcolm you were an amazing person and friend. I am still in shock. Actually I still don’t believe it. I was with you 2 days ago. We were supposed to shoot your new music video today. You were an angel bro. I love you and I’ll miss you homie. Shalom. Rest In Peace Mac
8. He was supposed to shoot another video next week with Grammy nominee Kehlani who was just as shookt as everyone else.
WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GO TO OHANAS THIS WEEK I WAS SUPPOSED TO COME THIS WEEKEND WE WERE SHOOTING YOUR VIDEO NEET WEEK WE HAD TO FINISH YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW NO NO NO NO U GOT THE SATURN TATOO AFTER I DID UR CHART THIS IS TOO MUCH— Kehlani (@Kehlani) September 7, 2018
9. Mac was all set to start his 26-date fall tour called The Swimming Tour this October in support of his most critically-acclaimed album Swimming where he openly-discussed his sobriety and recent DUI charges in his lyrics.
10. One of his collaborators in the said album was John Mayer (for the track "Small Worlds") who also expressed his grief with a plain black photo on his Instagram account.
For those who want to appreciate his music more, here's the latest and last album of Mac Miller released just last month.