'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Star DAVE BAUTISTA Defends Ousted Director JAMES GUNN
After news broke out earlier this week about the shocking firing of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, Dave Bautista took to social media to come to his defense.
The Fil-Am wrestler-turned-actor - who plays Drax in GOTG - called it a "cybernazi attack that succeeded" on his Twitter account.
What will you do when the #cybernazis attack you? Who will stand by you? Who will cowardly distance themselves from you? Who will punish you for horrible JOKES in the past instead of defending you for INSPIRING millions? MILLIONS!!! #Redemption #injustice @JamesGunn— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 22, 2018
What happened here is so much bigger then G3, @JamesGunn ,myself,@Disney etc. This was a #cybernazi attack that succeeded. Unless we start to unite together against this crap, whether people are offended are not! ...it’s going to get much worse. And it can happen to anyone https://t.co/AMZEd0tfqb— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 22, 2018
Gunn was fired from the franchise after his controversial jokes from several years ago recently resurfaced online.
Fans, on the other hand, have started a movement on social media to have Gunn reinstated with the hashtag #RehireJamesGunn. An online petition was also created which has already received over 250,000 signatures.
Robert Downy Jr had one of the worst backgrounds out of all the actors in the MCU. He changed, became such a better person, and is accepted by all of us.— 神 (@navarrooooo13) July 21, 2018
James Gunn makes a couple disturbing tweets.. changes... becomes a better person... and loses his job? #RehireJamesGunn
The whole point of Guardians of the Galaxy is that it's about a group of people who have done awful things becoming better people and redeeming themselves. But when the director is apologetic over the mistakes he made Disney fires him. #RehireJamesGunn— Brian Brecker (@BrianBrecker) July 20, 2018
James Gunn made those tweets six years ago.— Sorin (@sorin255) July 21, 2018
He was dragged for it six years ago.
He apologized for the tweets six years ago.
We had all since moved on.
Then an admitted rapist digs them up again because Gunn is anti-Trump.
Disney is wrong here. #rehirejamesgunn
The embattled director broke his silence and aired his statement concerning the issue via Twitter.
1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
3. In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
No word yet as to who will replace James Gunn in Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 which is set to start filming in early 2019. Meanwhile, Dave Bautista appears next in the action film Final Score.
Here’s the World Premiere of the trailer of my new movie FINAL SCORE, which will be in theaters in the UK on Sept 7th and in theaters, VOD, Digital in the US on Sept 14th. Check it out!https://t.co/2zDM195Eco— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 24, 2018
What's your take on the James Gunn controversy? Tell us in the comments!